Monday, November 30, 2015

Friendship Flow

When I was a little girl, my best friend was Mary Kay.  She lived down the street from me and we were inseparable.  When we reached high school, we were still friends, but we found different friend groups that were not similar AT ALL.  I punked and she prepped.  

Since then there were a few drifters, and a few solids.  I didn't really know what I was looking for, but I found myself extremely lonely in my new home school mother world in a different state.  I reached out to the home school group at church, and there were a few gems, but still I searched.

I watched Anne of Green Gables for the first time seven years ago.  I suddenly knew what I had longed for!  A bosom friend.  I prayed and the Lord answered.  Within the year, that bosom friend moved away.  We still talk, but it's not the same as popping over to each other's houses whenever we wanted.  When she left, she told me to contact this other person in our home school group.  I did, and that person became a good friend.  Your first bosom friend is your forever bosom friend.  So this next friend was a close second.

For a while, we were tight.  Think pb&j or peas and carrots, or anything and butter.  Our friendship rode through some turmoil and bounced back over the course of years.  Then, as if a rug was pulled out from under my feet, it was gone.  Neither of us said we were going anywhere, and neither of us did.  We just stopped talking so often.  We stopped seeking each other at out common places.  We stopped friending.  

Then an oldie/newbie came into the picture, who had been there, but we weren't exclusive.  We aren't exclusive now, but I trust her completely.  Our friendship formed over the past five years.  She's really an amazing person, not that my other friends are not, but I'm pondering on the ebb and flow of friendships.  

I know friendships have seasons and phases.  I know that some friends are forever friends no matter how long you're apart and don't talk.  You pick right back up.  I've been blessed with a few of those too.

I remember when I told God how sad I was that this other friendship felt like it was dying.  How I didn't feel like I could just go to her and tell her all things anymore.  I got a notion He was telling me that He would listen if I wanted.  I felt foolish.  Isn't this what He asks of us?  To be our forever friend?  Our bosom friend?  

Here I am, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment